Documentation by David Dunham and Glenn Andreas
Special thanks to: Andrew Welch and Jason Whong
©1997-9 by Ambrosia Software, Inc.
The last thing you remember is going to the kitchen for a snack, when everything went black... When you wake up, you find yourself lying on a hard stone floor. You try to look around and discover an older distinguished looking man, wearing robes, and a hunchback dressed in motley next to him...
"He's awake" says the hunchback.
"This is good," says the older man. "I hope you are right about this, Magpie, it has taken almost all of my powers to bring him here."
"It was our only chance - if we can't find a way to restore you to power, Cythera is doomed, and all your work will have been for naught."
Journey to the island of Cythera, land of mystery and adventure. Discover the mysteries of Alaric, ageless Land King whose powers have kept Cythera prosperous and at peace - but now his powers are failing and chaos threatens to engulf the land.
Welcome to Cythera
Cythera casts you as the legendary saviour of a violently divided nation. Sensing the impending downfall of the King, the ruling houses of Cythera struggle for political power in the ancient land. Some will stop at nothing to seize control.
While the houses labor to increase their own power, the neutral mages struggle for a higher consciousness and the betterment of humanity. They envision a world free from treachery and deceit. These students of the magick arts anxiously await the return of Alaric's mystical powers, as well as the end of the land's deadly slide toward chaos. But even they are unaware of the underlying tragedy which prepares to strike the land.
Your quest will take you through many trials as you uncover the mysteries of Cythera, its origin, its people, and its political hierarchies. You must do everything in your power to save the King, restore the balance of power, and return Cythera to its roots.
About this Manual
This manual assumes that you are familiar with the Macintosh and its basic operation. If you need help using the mouse, choosing from menus, or working in the Finder, please consult the Macintosh User’s Guide that came with your Macintosh.
This manual mixes a fictional narrative with conventional instructions on how to play Cythera. The narrative portions of this manual appear in italics, while the regular instructions appear as normal text.
Navigating this Document
To scroll a page up and down...
• Use the scroll bar on the right side of the window
• Use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard
• Use the Page Up and Page Down keys on your keyboard
To move between chapters...
• Use the scroll bar along the bottom of the window
• Use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard
• Select an item from the “Chapters” menu
Three types of icons help you along your way...
1) The Blue “Go To” buttons are found in the Table of Contents and elsewhere. Clicking on one of these transfers you to the indicated chapter.
2) A “Print” button is found at the bottom of each page. Clicking on this button prompts you with a dialog box listing the chapters in this manual. Any or all of the chapters can be printed from this dialog box.
3) The “Quit” button is also found at the bottom of each page. “Quit” will exit this manual, returning you to the Finder.